Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Calling Webservice from Classic ASP page.

Today I was looking for an option to Call a ASP.Net websevice from a classic ASP application.

One idea that I had in mind was to call the webservice from a ASPX file and write the return value to the response of the page. So that from the ASP application If i call that ASPX, I can read that response.

A googling gave me 2 additional option too

1) Use MS SOAP Toolkit - Which is lot more easier, as most of the internal stuffs will be taken care by the toolkit. But one down side i can think of is, in ASP application it is creating an instance of object using CreateObject("MSSOAP.SoapClient"), which clearly says i need to install the toolkit in the production server. I honestly want to avoid an additional installation in the production server. here

2) Use XML Parser - Using this method we are invoking the webservice using following objects
CreateObject("MSXML2.XMLHTTP")
CreateObject("MSXML.DOMDocument").
Though the application needs above two objects to be installed, it is intuitive in almost all windows machines. So I have no hassle to make use of it. But one down side I can think of it need few additional wiring between SOAP request and XML parsing ......here

But if i can do with no extra installation, then i don't mind to write few additional line of code

No comments:

Post a Comment